shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Match Report – Bracknell Bees 1 – 2 Swindon Wildcats (After Overtime)

Sunday saw the Bees return to The Hive for local M4 Derby action against their local rivals the Swindon Wildcats. The Bees went into the game at full strength whilst the visiting Wildcats were missing Aaron Nell, Callum Buglass, Toms Rutkis, Ben Nethersell and Ryan Aldridge. Netminders Alex Mettam, for the Bees, and Stevie Lyle for the Wildcats, started the match in the respective goals. Referee Kevin Ward took charge of the match with Flynn Stitch-Cunningham & Amy Lack on the lines.

A tight and tense first period saw very few clear chances on net for either team with the home side Bees having to defend well to see off a power play around the eight minute mark as Scott Spearing sat out an interference minor.  The defences were both on top throughout the opening period and the Bees again did well to see off another power play when Matt Foord was assessed a hooking minor.   The Wildcats Neil Liddiard picked up a tripping minor and the Bees power play went to work but Stevie Lyle in the Swindon net could not be beaten and the first period finished goalless.

Another closely fought period followed with again limited clear chances created by either side with the two defences still firmly on top.   Less than a minute into the action the Bees found themselves a man short as James Galazzi picked up a hooking minor.   The Bees penalty kill unit however saw off the threat.  Just over half way through the period Bees player/coach Lukas Smital was assessed a 2+2+10 penalty for spearing and on the resulting power play the visiting Wildcats finally broke the deadlock as Max Birbraer snapped a wrist shot past Alex Mettam in the Bees net.  Only moments later Jan Kostal picked up a holding minor and the Bees wasted no time in tying up the scores on the resulting power play.   Olegs Lascenko picked up a rebound effort and shot home well past Stevie Lyle in the Wildcats net.  With a little over three minutes remaining in the period the sides found themselves in four on four action as the Bees Alex Barker picked up a slashing minor and at the same time the Wildcats Jonas Hoog was assessed a diving minor.   The period ran out without further incident and the scores tied at one goal apiece.

With the scores tied the final period saw another twenty minutes of tight and tense action.   Defences were again firmly on top and both netminders stood firm to all efforts on goal.  The period was played cleanly with no penalties called despite the action swinging from end to end and both teams coming close to sneaking the win late on.   Neither team was able to break the deadlock in regulation time and so the game headed into an overtime period.   Both sides nearly snatched the extra point with the Bees Alex Barker coming close and Alex Mettam having to be alert to deny the Wildcats Matt Selby on a breakaway effort.   Heartbreakingly for the Bees it was the Wildcats who snatched the extra point with only seven seconds remaining in the overtime period as Tomasz Malasinski netted for the visitors.

The man of the match awards went to Olegs Lascenko for the home side Bees and to Jordan Kelsall for the visiting Wildcats.

Match stats
Period scores: 0-0, 1-1, 0-0, 0-1
Bees scorers: Lascenko 1+0; Stead 0+1
Wildcats scorers: Birbraer & Malasinski 1+0; Taylor, Bullas, Liddiard & Hoog 0+1
Bees PIMS: 22 (L.Smital 14; Galazzi, Foord, Spearing & Barker 2)
Wildcats PIMS: 6 (Kostal, Hoog & Liddiard 2)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 19 (3, 4, 6, 6)
Shots on Wildcats (Lyle):
26 (7, 6, 11, 2)

Leave a Reply