shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Match Report – Guildford Flames 10 – 1 Bracknell Bees

Match report by Steve Merry

On Sunday Evening the Bees made the short trip down the A322 to Guildford to face their local rivals the Flames.

The Bees were icing at full strength.  The Flames were without Joonas Kuusela and Marcus Kristoffersson but Sam Godfrey returned to the team.  The Referee for this game was Dave Cloutman and his linesman were Andy Cook and Flynn Sitch-Cunningham.  Alex Mettam started between the pipes for the Bees and Skinns was in the Flames net.

The first period was a saw the travelling Bees get off to a torrid start with the home side Flames finding themselves four goals up inside the first eight minutes.   The goals came through Marek Maslonka, Andrew McKinney, Andrew Melachrino and a second goal for Marek Maslonka.  The Bees were visibly stunned by the start to the match and the Bees bench opted to call a time out to try and settle the team down.   They also opted to make a change of netminders removing Alex Mettam, who had allowed four goals on ten shots, and replacing him with young Matt Smital.  The Bees did their best to try to soak up the relentless pressure from the Flames.  Matt Smital was beaten with just over eleven minutes gone in the opening period as Marek Maslonka completed his hat trick.  The Bees just could not along stem the tide or find the answer the Flames, but continued to dig deep and try to push forward to pressure on the Flames defence and netminder.   It wasn’t to be tough and the Flames were leading by six goals as the buzzer sounded for the end of the first period.   Andrew Mckinney had scored past Bees netminder Matt Smital, who was sprawled out on the ice with a couple of minutes remaining, it appeared that there had been contact between Matt Smital and a Flames player just previous to the puck going into the net but there was no call from the referee.

The second period started as the first one finished, with the home side on the front foot and another early goal for the Flames with two minutes on the board of the second stanza as Marek Maslonka scored once more for the Flames.  Following the seventh goal the game became more even and the Bees had a lot more possessions and created chances on net but Dean Skinns, in the Flames net, stood firm to deny them.   Flames forward Andrew Melachrino was ejected from the game for a checking to the head incident on Bees defenceman Harvey Stead.  The Bees, with the extra man advantage, again looked to put pressure on the Flames but failed to convert the power play despite their efforts.  The remained of the period saw both sets of defences keeping at bay everything the teams could muster and throw at them, it would be fair to say that the Bees did not getting any luck with the bounce of the puck and a combination of that and solid Flames defence combined to keep the Bees off the scoreboard.

The third period was played in the same vein as the previous two, with the Bees trying to mount attacks and get something going, but the Flames defence were equal to everything the Bees threw at them again.  Four minutes into the final period Marek Maslonka scored his fifth goal of the evening at, completing what would be a five goal haul for him on the night.  Matic Kralj found space in the slot and let a shot rip only a minute later to further extend the Flames lead to nine goals.   Frayed tempers boiled over soon after with Marek Maslonka & Danny Ingoldsby clashing following a challenge along the boards from Maslonka.   Both players received 2+2 for roughing and 5+game for resisting an official with the Flames player receiving an additional 2+2 for roughing.   Bees’ defenceman Josh Tetlow was also handed a Game penalty for third man and James Galazzi also received 2+2 for roughing.   With everything looking to have settled down the Bees picked up a consolation goal at with ninety seconds remaining in the match as Rio Grinell-Parke slotted home assisted by James Galazzi and Matt Foord.  Only seconds after the goal James Galazzi and Danny Meyers squared up, dropped the gloves and exchanged blows before the fight was broken up by the officials.   Both players received 2+2 for roughing and the rest of the game passed without further penalties or scoring.

The Man of the Match awards went to Andrew McKinney for the home side Flames and to the Bees forward Josh Smith.

Match stats
Period scores: 6-0, 1-0, 3-1
Flames scorers: Maslonka 5+2; McKinney 2+1; Santavuori 1+4; Kralj 1+1; Melachrino 1+0; Savage & Duggan 0+2; Hemmings, Eriksson, Lundin, Godfrey & Meyers 0+1
Bees scorers: Grinell-Parke 1+0; Galazzi & Foord 0+1
Flames PIMS: 64 (Maslonka 33; Melachrino 25; Meyers 4; Santavuori 2)
Bees PIMS: 71 (Ingoldsby 29; Tetlow 20; L.Smital 10; Galazzi 8; Foord & Smith 2)
Shots on Flames (Skinns): 21 (6, 6, 9)
Shots on Bees (Mettam & M.Smital): 10 (10, 0, 0) & 31 (7, 15, 9)

Leave a Reply