shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out

Single Blog Title

This is a single blog caption

Match Report – Guildford Flames 3 – 4 Bracknell Bees

Match report by Steve Merry

On Saturday night the Bees rolled into Guildford hoping to continue from the way they played on the previous Sunday at The Hive versus Milton Keynes.  The Bees were at full strength with the addition of new signing Olegs Lacenko, The Referee for this match was Andrew Miller and his linesman were Scott Ellis and Nathan Carmichael.  Starting in net for the Bees was Alex Mettam and for the Flames was Joonas Kuusela.

The opening period started with the Bees trying to create some early pressure on the Flames net and they nearly took the lead but the Flames Netminder had other ideas.  The Flames opened the scoring at 4:11 whilst on the powerplay as Harvey Stead was sitting for cross checking.  This only made the Bees try harder to find a way past the sharp looking Kuusela and set about trying to upset Guildford from getting into their rhythm.  The Bees seemed to stop them and Mettam again was outstanding.  The play was end to end but Guildford could seem to get near the Bees goal and Mettam stopped a number of chances.  The Bees had a great chance at 16:18 when Ben Campbell was sent to the box for tripping.  The Bees powerplay unit kicked it up a gear and cycled the puck well in the zone but the Flames were having none of it.  The Bees continued to press but could not find a way through and a solid period ended 1-0 to the Flames.

The second period was all about the Bees, they came out of the dressing room with the bit between their teeth, moving the puck with great passing moves and great plays to break down the Flames.  The Bees got their chance again at 27:06 when Marcus Kristofferson was sent to the box for holding a Bees player.  The Bees powerplay dug deep moving the puck round the zone, Olegs Lascenko got tied up and managed to find a pass to Krystof Kafan on the point, who fed Scott Spearing who scrambled the puck home, the scores were tied at one each.  This sparked the Bees into life and they stepped the pace up again and made life difficult for the Flames with some great plays and using the individual skills to help the team, this was rewarded at 32:17 when Krystof Kafan fired home from close range assisted by Rio Grinell-Parke, whose blistering speed down the right wing carried the puck into the zone from a pass from James Galazzi.   The Bees were not done, three minutes later they added to the lead, after David Gaborcik was left unmarked in front of the net assisted by Lukas Smital who had carried the puck into the zone.  The period ended with a coming together of both teams.  This resulted in Andrew McKinney receiving a 2+10 minute misconduct penalty for roughing and abuse.  Scott Spearing of the Bees picked up a 2+2 penalty and Bees Captain Matt Foord picked up a 10 minute misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The third period started with the Flames piling on the pressure to the Bees but this did not deter the travelling team who continued clearing the lines and killing penalties. There were a number chances for the Bees but they could not capitalise.  The play continued to be end to end with both netminders coming up big with saves.  The Bees then ran into penalty problems when Rio Grinell-Park was sent to the box at 42:49 and then James Galazzi was sent in at 45:29, both penalties were killed off with some outstanding work from the defence and Mettam’s heroics in net.  Then more penalties when both James Galazzi and Krystof Kafan were sent to the box at 55:55.  The Flames immediately called their time out and piled the pressure on the Bees.  The home side pegged a goal back at 56:09 through Jens Eriksson.  Krystof Kafan returned to the ice.  The Bees continued to soak up the pressure of the Flames and at 57:15 Bees Player/Coach Lukas Smital was sent to the box for slashing and the Flames knew they had a great chance to tie the game and that they did just that on the powerplay at 57:56.  The Flames continued to pressure but the Bees had different ideas when David Gaborcik found Scott Spearing on the right wing, who went with speed down the wing with Alex Barker alone coming into the zone at pace, he received a pin point pass from Spearing and poked home one time into the roof of the net at 58:31.  The Bees called their time out to settle everyone down.  The Flames won the resulting face off and pulled Joonas Kuusela with 1:16 left.  The Bees held on for the win.

Man of the match awards went to Bees forward Carl Thompson and Jens Eriksson for the home side Flames.

Match stats
Period scores: 1-0, 0-3, 2-1
Flames scorers: Eriksson 2+1; Kralj 1+2; Meyers & Lundin 0+1
Bees scorers: Kafan, Spearing & Gaborcik 1+1; Barker 1+0; Galazzi, L.Smital, Lascenko & Grinell-Parke 0+1
Flames PIMS: 16 (McKinney 12; Kristofferson & Campbell 2)
Bees PIMS: 30 (Foord 12; Spearing & Galazzi 4; Stead, Tetlow, Kafan, Grinell-Parke & L.Smital 2)
Shots on Flames (Kuusela & Empty Net): 26 (11, 10, 5) + (0, 0, 0)
Shots on Bees (Mettam): 26 (11, 3, 12)

Leave a Reply